I had forgotten that today is May day until a little while ago. I love May day, as it brings back fond memories. When I was in kindergarten, we made flower bouquets for our mothers out of tissue paper and and pipe cleaner. I remember thinking this was the coolest thing ever. My teacher then told us that before we walked in the door when we got home from school (most of us rode the bus home) to put the bouquet we made on the door, ring the door bell and run and hide behind something. She then told us to wait till our mom's came and got the bouquet and then proceed on inside. (Yes, my teacher was literally teaching us how to ding door ditch someone....heee). Looking back now, I find it quite funny. I Remember doing this and thinking that my mom didn't know that it was me (she did, because our teacher informed the parents that we would be doing this). I felt so sneaky and clever. It made me love May day. From there on out, I always remember May day and how flowers should be placed at someones door to make them smile. I'm sure my mom had a smile or her face when she found a tissue paper bouquet of a million colors on her doorstep. A couple of years ago, I did this same thing to some friends at college and still to this day some them don't know it was me who put that bucket filled with goodies and flowers on their doorstep. I'm sure there first thought was, "Who in this world celebrates May day." Well, now you know-Taresa Dilworth. I'm sure today, anyone who found a bouquet of flowers on their doorstep would smile. I think of May day as a day to make someone else smile through the act of giving one of God's beautiful pieces of nature; flowers. Did you remember it was May day? Is there someone that you think could use a smile in their life? Celebrate May day next year and bring a smile to someones face.
I wanted to learn more about the history of May day, so I "googled" it and found this awesome article that I read. Feel free to read it to: http://www.theholidayspot.com/mayday/history.htm (you will have to copy and paste it, I couldn't get the link to work).
Today, I learned about the history of May day!

No comments:
Post a Comment