As most of you know, my life took a drastic turn not that long ago. I had a phone interview with a school in Aberdeen, Idaho about 3 weeks ago. It went well, but so had all the rest of interviews. I had my mind set that I was going to China to teach English. I had even gotten my passport that week. Well,was wrong...nothing new...I typically am. There always seems to be a different plan for me than from my own. 2 hours after having the interview I got a phone call...I got the teaching position! The principal then said that I needed to be there by Wed! I had less than a week to find a place to live, pack and move! Holy cow!! I was stressed, stressed, stressed! (not really excited). It happened so fast that I felt pressured into it all. I wasn't 100% that this is what I wanted, but I decided to go forth with it anyways. I guess life is an adventure...isn't it? The day after I got the job I found a little one bedroom house in Aberdeen only 1/2 mile from the school. (I think it's less, because I can walk there in 5 minutes). I arrived in Aberdeen that Monday and moved into my place. I then went down to the school the next day, signed papers and got my classroom. I was excited, but became more stressed! My classroom was filled with boxes and was a mess! The principal then told me that there was an open house in two days, so I needed to have my classroom ready for the parents and students. I then had to go back home and finish doing things for my house while my dad was still here. I then spent all Wed. and Thurs. preparing my classroom for the open house. (Oh, did I mention I was in meetings for 5 hours on Wed?) I then had Fri, Sat and Sun to finish getting everything ready for the first day of school along with planning all my lessons for the week. It was crazy! I really don't know how I've kept sane all this time. This past week I've been more exhausted than I ever have in a long while! I'm loving every minute of being busy though. I'm teaching 3rd grade and I have 18 kids. They're SO cute and they actually like me! One of the little girl's told me yesterday that I'm the kindest 3rd grade teacher. Other kids come and knock at my window every morning before school and then when I look up they smile and wave and then go back to playing. There have been challenging moments. All my kids are not perfect and many of them having a hard time following directions. I truly love teaching though. It is a ton of work, but it is well worth it.
Many things have changed quickly in my life. I went from having no job, no car, living with my parents to having a teaching job, having a car (my mom gave me hers), and having my own little house. I have a whole key chain of keys. I feel really grown up. It is really crazy! I have learned to always be prepared. You never know what will be next in life. I'm liking living in Aberdeen. I have a lot of alone time, which is nice after spending all day with kids.
Many of you have been asking what my house and classroom look like. I took pictures of my house and my classroom will be coming soon. Enjoy!






















3 comments:
Wow-- that happened fast! That you could just "up and move" and be ready to teach in less than a week is amazing, Taresa. As things settle in, I hope you find your niche in the area and find lots of fun. You'll have to see Craters of the Moon National Monument sometime. Marc says it's really cool.
That is so exciting for you. I'm glad that you got a job and the kids are nice to you.
Wow! From China to Idaho! I have been checking your blog every so often to see if you were teaching, and I was so happy to see that you are now. Isn't it crazy how life rolls by with nothing going on, and then all of a sudden you are thrown fast balls?! I wonder why that is...but you have done a wonderful job settling in, and it looks like you have a wonderful home and class. Congratulations!
Post a Comment