Friday, December 12, 2014

My Student's responses to me being pregnant

I told my students this last week, because some of them have been trying to trip me with the chairs. I also needed help moving their desks and I'm not suppose to do that. that Mrs. Strachan was pregnant, which meant she has a baby in her belly. I reassured them that I was going to be their teacher the whole school year and that I would be having the baby after school gets out. I told them that my belly would be growing. They were so helpful moving their own desks and many of them have become really protective of me and making sure their chairs are down, so I don't trip. It has been really cute to see them. They were so excited the rest of the day and it was hard for them to work.

A boy student said "That just means you are going to get REALLY fat!" (Thank you for stating the obvious!)

One girl student said "I'm so happy for you, I love babies!"

One boy said "My mom had a baby her in belly once and it just came out. Now that baby is two."

A lot of the students kept on asking and motioning to their own bellies, when is it going to just "come out?"

Later that day, they asked who was going to move the desks from now on and I told them they would or Mr. Strachan. One student said "There's a Mr. Strachan?" I said, "Yes, I'm married." Another student said "She has to be married to have a baby." A little girl said "I thought you just wished that you wanted a baby and it happens." There then became this whole discussion among the 1st graders whether you needed a man to have a baby. They bluntly asked me if you do and my simple answer: "Yes". They then asked me a million questions about Mr. Strachan (now, I've told them several times that I'm married). How tall is he?, Is he short like you?, Is he shorter than you? What does he look like? How old is he? I told them, he's 29. One girl proclaimed "Wow, he's old enough to be my grandpa! He's SO old." I explained to her, that he is not old enough to be his grandpa. She told me, well my grandma tells me she's 27 and 27 is close to 29. (I know that her grandma must be pulling her leg). Well, now the students want to meet Mr. Strachan and they are SO excited for me to have this baby. It's the talk of our classroom now.

1 comment:

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Congratulations, Taresa! Sorry I didn't see this til now. That is wonderful news and I hope you feel okay. Love your students' responses!