Monday, June 1, 2009

A hiking I did go!

This past weekend I decided to go on an overnight backpacking trip with the outdoor activities from school. My friend Janelle was a voluteer and asked me to go, so I went. I was excited, but a bit hesitate at what I had gotten myself into. I'm not in the best shape (having been sick most of this semester), but thought I would put forth my best effort. I ended up carrying the tent, so my pack was a bit heavier than I would have liked. We hiked into Lake Palicades, which happened to be gorgeous! The group I was with happened to be more expereinced, so we hiked farther than had planned. We hike 5 miles and made our camp. We camped right down by the river, so it was on the cold side. We had a scrumptous dinner of chicken and rice and cherry cheesecake (I thought of dad, as he always made this on camping trips). I tossed and turned all night to wake up the next morning to go on a nice day hike to the upper lake, 3 miles round trip. We had lunch and hung out and then hiked back, packed up camp and headed back for the 5 mile trek back to the van. Let's just say I had the biggest grin on my face when I saw the van we drove in! It was so pretty and we were able to see many animals, but it wasn't easy. I just kept a prayer in my heart that I would be able to make it back! In total, we hike 13 miles. I do admit that I'm quite sore, but it was all worth it. All the marvelous creations upon this earth, never cease to amaze me! Well, enjoy the pictures of my amazing adventure!


We hiked right along the river



Ew! a rattlesnake!! (we saw 2 other gardner snake's, but I didn't get a picture)....how I loath snakes!!!

Beaver dam


My good friend Janelle and me...we had fun!


I was tired and had bed hair :)...you're in the wild, who cares?



View of the upper lake we hiked into for day hike...beautiful!



This was the spring that we filtered water out of...it was cold and tasted good!


We saw 2 moose!

Gorgeous View!


Janelle and Me resting for a picture


Some rock formations I saw along the way...the geologist in me was happy!





















































































































2 comments:

Holli no name Child said...

looks like you had fun!! I love the pictures, so pretty

MandM said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Glad it was you who hiked 13 miles and not me. I'd have died!