Friday, November 13, 2009

You must be as Quiet as a mouse! shhhhh...


I have been sick off and on for the past couple of weeks...I caught a cold and it seems to not want to go away! I think it's partyly do to stress, lovely :). So, yesterday I went to bed with a sore throat and woke up with one too! I hardly had a voice! It was one of the days I go to the school and was teaching a couple of lessons. I was a bit worried, but was calmed down when I arrived at the school. The 1st grade teacher whispered to me, "Today is quiet day in the 1st grade...we must all be quiet like little mice and whisper all day!" Perfect! I thought to myself, I hardly have a voice and it's whisper day! What a blessing...seriously, I felt blessed! Who would have ever thought! The students along with teachers all wore a mouse around their neck. When the students spoke loudly, they got a whole punch in their mouse. They were told that at the end of the day they would get 10 m &m's, but if they got hole punches, they got one m &m taken away for each hole. The students did great! They whispered all day until the about the last 30 minutes. Some of them struggled with whispering. One little boy had 9 holes and got 1 m &m...the teachers felt that the 1st grade classes were being too loud and wanted a day of quiet and to teach the students that it is better to learn when it's quiet. I think that it did work, but it was hard to teach using a whispering voice. I thought it was a cool idea though. Here is my mouse...I guess I'll call her Darla.

One little girl's comment to me, "teacher, why don't you get hole punches? I've seen you talk loudly once today." (I love being the teacher and in charge!)

I'm in a literacy practicum where I go to a kindergarten class. I was teaching the children about rhyming words and asked one little boy "Why does house and mouse rhyme?" Boy: "Because the mouse can fit into the house!"

No comments: