Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hiking the "M" with Tisha






On a mountain top in Missoula, there is an "M" in representation of the University there- University of Montana. As kids, we hiked it all the time. The last time I hiked it was a couple of years ago at night with Chad and my friend Sarah. I wasn't very wise and wore flip flops and we weren't very wise and hiked at night with no flashlight. Know, not having good night vision I relied on my brother to hold my hand and help me down the mountain. He, being the gentleman that he is didn't hesitate to help me. Thank goodness for his kindness, because at one point I slipped and found Chad there pulling me back up. He is such a great brother- always looking out for his "big, little sis" as he calls me. Even though he is younger than me, he has always been protective of me. The older I've gotten the more appreciation ave for this brother protection instinct. I'm truly blessed with two brothers who look out for me- no matter what.

This time, my hike to the "M" was different. First off, Tisha and I got up in the morning to hike it, so I did it in daylight (wise choice # 1). The second was I wore my running shoes (wise choice # 2) and the new third was bring a water bottle (wise choice # 3). I found that the hike this time was definitely easier for me and at points I found myself running up it! I was pretty impressed with myself, as was Tish. I didn't want to leave Tisha behind, so I waited for her at the end of each bend and cheered her on. I was so proud of her when she reached the top. Her goal that she set out was accomplished. It wasn't the easiest for her, but she conquered something she hadn't done since she was a kid. The overall glory wasn't just finishing, but being able to see the beauty as we got to overlook Missoula. I was overwhelmed with emotion of seeing the place I've always called home. It was the place I grew up, the place a little of bit of my heart will always remain.

I loved hiking the "M" that day with my sister. It was a time to reflect upon life. As sometimes in life the climb seems easy and we say to ourselves "I got this" and then as soon as we think we have everything figured out, a trial (or a hill) hits us. Now, we can either conquer this trial with vigor (running up the hill) or take it one day at a time (walking up the hill). Sometimes we try to rush trials, get overwhelmed and want to give up, just like me only being able to run up only parts of the mountain. But, if we take the time to realize why we might be going through this trial and come to know and appreciate what we are to learn from it, (just like walking up the mountain), we come to more fully appreciate the Lord's hand in our lives and they way he teaches us. I know we all experience trials, heartache and pain in this life, but as we come to more fully realize what the Lord is trying to teach us, it turns from an experience of trial to an experience of knowledge; which is one of the greatest gifts God can give us. So, whether you feel you're on an uphill climb or basking in the sunlight right now in your life, may you realize that there is a Heavenly Father who knows and loves you. I know this to be true.

No comments: